Silkworms & Natural Dyes
A 2.5 hour hands-on workshop & learning experience. Please note that all prices are charged in Lao Kip and US dollar prices are approximate.
The price per person is based on group size:
- 1 person price at 600,000 LAK ($75)
- 2 – 5 people price at 384,000 LAK ($48) per person
- 6 – 9 people price at 320,000 LAK($40) per person
- 10 + people price at 304,000 LAK ($38) per person
This is a great introduction to the world of Lao textiles where visitors get to try a bit of everything and dye their own scarf.
- Meet the Silkworms – an explanation of the worms’ lives; some interesting facts regarding sericulture; Guests prepare mulberry leaves and feed the worms.
- Preparing Natural Dyes – a brief introduction to natural dyes; guests are invited to prepare two dye sources sourced from plants growing in the LCC gardens; guests dye white scarves in their chosen colours.
Refreshments Break: Fruit platters and Lao-style drinks
- Meet the Weavers – an introduction to the looms and the different weaving techniques.
- Ikat Weaving Demonstration – guests are invited to try weaving and spinning on our demonstration looms.